Word of mouth marketing
What is word-of-mouth marketing?
How does word-of-mouth marketing work?
What is word of mouth?
Word-of-mouth is a phenomenon whereby the customer a brand speaks of the latter to third parties during a call. It is a very powerful marketing tool useful for traders and businesses. The purpose of word of mouth is twofold:
- Brand recommendation;
- Warning of a mark.
It is therefore necessary to provide quality services in order to avoid negative comments and encourage a movement of promotion. Especially since the power of word of mouth has greatly increased thanks to the evolution of the Internet. Word of mouth is no longer just oral. From now on, it designates the phenomena of recommendation which pass mainly on the Internet: electronic word of mouth , buzz or viral marketing. Importantly, word of mouth can be spontaneous, but it can also be encouraged. It is appropriate for each professional to set up a strategy adapted to his needs. Also, it is useful in a B2C2C sales system in which a customer purchases the product of a company for resale to a third party. The customer must therefore promote this brand.
How do positive and negative word of mouth work?
As already mentioned above, word of mouth can be positive or negative. It is important to understand how in order to put in place an effective strategy.
What is positive word of mouth?
Positive, word of mouth is a very advantageous marketing tool:
- It can promote the increase in the number of sales;
- It helps to strengthen the notoriety of the company or the brand;
- It also helps ensure customer loyalty and the recruitment of new types of customers.
For SMEs, this phenomenon is a spontaneous means of promotion that does not require large expenses. Indeed, customers speak spontaneously without being influenced. In all, there are three levers that promote positive word-of-mouth:
- Either the customers appreciate the services, the offers of the company, or even the merchant, which prompts them to promote the company;
- Either the services or products offered to make them feel important;
- It also happens that the activities of the company allow them to feel part of a community. In this case, they are often ready to serve the brand out of loyalty.
What is negative word of mouth?
The biggest downside to word of mouth is that it’s hard to get a handle on. It is impossible to control the opinions of millions of people. It can always happen that an unhappy customer or his entourage speaks badly about a business. It is a denigration of a warning impacting the confidence of the customers vis-à-vis the brand. As an indication, here is a list of elements favoring the appearance of a negative word-of-mouth phenomenon:
- Poor quality of services or offers;
- Poor quality of products;
- Communication error;
- The use of illegal or questionable methods seriously damaging the brand identity.
To minimize the risk of negative word-of-mouth, the first step is to provide quality products and services. Then, it is essential to get closer to customers. Currently, it is fundamental to create communities on social networks. This technique helps influence conversations about the brand and gain positive customer reviews.